Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not funny.

This "joke" has been circulating around Facebook:

Dear Lord, this past year you have taken my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just want you to know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor.
Now I'm no Republican, and I certainly didn't vote for Chris Christie. Nor do I agree with the governor's mostly draconian proposed cuts to state agencies and services, particularly for schools. However, I really can't abide this kind of humor.

Go ahead, tease Christie about his weight or how he used the U.S. Attorney's Office for political gain. That's fine. But wishing death on someone (other than, you know, the true monsters out there), now matter how much you disagree with or oppose him, is not acceptable, even if you're doing it in a wisecrack. This joke was appalling when I first heard it with President Obama as the punch line, and it's no less awful now.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.app.com/article/20100409/NEWS03/100409024/Teachers-union-memo-hints-at-Gov.-Chris-Christie-s-death

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, say something.